Simple and easy, this creamy Bircher Muesli Recipe is full of filling oats, sliced almonds, shredded apple and raisins and it’s the perfect way to start off your mornings!
Can this be made in advance?
Yes! This is a great breakfast option because the muesli mix can be made at least a month in advance and then the portions with milk and apple can be prepped for 4-5 days in advance.
What is Bircher Muesli?
Bircher Muesli is a very classic muesli in Germany. It usually has raisins or dried currants and chopped almonds. Unlike most muesli or overnight oats which are just mixed with milk, bircher muesli is mixed with milk and grated apple which adds extra flavor!
Is Bircher Muesli healthy?
Yes, definitely. While raisins can have added sugar, overall it is a very healthy recipe. Other than the raisins there is no added sugar in the bircher muesli.
How to make muesli creamy?
There are a few ways that muesli can be creamy. The most important is that it sits overnight or longer, this allows the starch from the oats to mix with the milk and thicken the overall mixture. Another important element is that a large portion, in this case 75%, of the oats are ground down. This helps them to create a thicker creamier texture.
More Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast can be daunting, here are some easy and quick German breakfast recipes, perfect for any weekday!
Tips for making a Creamy Bircher Muesli
- As mentioned in the FAQs, blending a majority of the oats into a finer texture creates a creamier texture.
- Once the dry muesli mix has been made, store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
- While almonds are the most classic in bircher muesli, any nuts will work! The same goes for the raisins, they are the most common but dried cranberries, currants, or cherries would work as well.
- It’s not 100% necessary to peel the apple first; however, if not, the peel will not break down the way that the rest of the grated apple will.
- While this is most commonly eaten cold, it also tastes amazing heated up after sitting in the fridge overnight. Especially if you add a little cinnamon sugar, it tastes just like warm cinnamon apple oats.
Bircher Muesli Mix
- Rolled Oats: Rolled oats are better than quick cooking oats because they retain more of their nutritional value. If you have a hard time digesting oats that haven’t been cooked, they can first be toasted in the oven.
- Sliced Almonds: Any “version” of almonds will work; however, I prefer to use sliced almonds because they are thin and therefore aren’t too hard when eating the muesli.
- Raisins: Raisins are a classic addition in bircher muesli but other dried fruits work as well.
Overnight Muesli Mix
- Granny Smith Apple: While any apple can work, granny smiths are a classic choice because they have a little tartness which brightens the overall flavor of the muesli. This can also be achieved by adding in 1/2 a tsp of lemon juice to each serving.
- Milk: This recipe is great because it can easily be made vegan by using dairy free milk, or if you use cow’s milk, it will have extra protein.
How to make a Bircher Muesli
Make the Muesli Mix
- In a blender or food processor, briefly blend 3/4 of the oats until they are about the texture of quick cooking oats or the size of a small grain.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground oats, whole oats, raisins and almonds. Stir to combine and store in an airtight container.
Make overnight mixture
- Portion 90 grams of the muesli mix into individual containers.
- Peel the apple and grate 1/4 of the apple into each container.
- Finally, pour 125 ml of milk into each container and stir to combine.
- Place each container into the fridge and let sit for at least 12-24 hours.
Creamy Bircher Muesli Recipe
- Blender or Food Processor
- 200 grams rolled oats
- 80 grams raisins
- 80 grams sliced almonds
- 1 granny smith apple grated
- 500 ml skim milk
Bircher Muesli Mix
- In a blender or food processor, grind the 150 grams of the oats into the size of a small grain.
- Combine the ground oats, whole oats, raisins, and almonds in a bowl, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container to store or divide evenly into 4 containers to prepare.
Overnight Muesli Mix
- Once the mix has been evenly divided into 4 containers, add in 1/4 of the grated apple into each container.
- Divide the milk into each container and stir to combine.
- Close each container and place them in the fridge to sit for at least 12-24 hours.